APSU Sports Information
Champaign, IL – It was business as usual for the Austin Peay State University (APSU) women’s tennis team, as they remained unbeaten after a 7-0 win over Eastern Illinois, Friday.
The Governors (17-0, 5-0 OVC) remained unbeaten and saw Helena Kuppig  extend her winning streak in singles to 13 matches, now tied for fifth all-time in program history.
The Yanes Garcia twins won at No. 2 doubles, 6-1, to start things for the Govs.
Not even two minutes later, Danielle Morris  and Fabienne Schmidt  won by the same score at No. 3 doubles to give the Govs a 1-0 lead going into singles. Tatiana Lopez  and Honoka Nakanishi’s  11-match win streak stayed alive as their match went unfinished with the pair leading 4-3.
The Govs dominated once again in singles. Lopez was first off for the Govs with a 6-0, 6-2 win, before Kuppig won 6-0, 6-1 to put the Govs up 3-0. The Panthers (11-8, 2-3 OVC) simply had no answer for the Govs, as Morris won 6-0, 6-1 to clinch the match for the Govs.
The Govs stay in the Prairie State to take on SIU Edwardsville tomorrow at 11:00am.
Austin Peay 7, Eastern Illinois 0
1. Claudia Yanes Garcia  (APSU) def. Rachel Papavasilopoulos (EIU) 6-4, 7-5
2. Lidia Yanes Garcia  (APSU) def. Srishti Slaria (EIU) 6-0, 7-5
3. Tatiana Lopez  (APSU) def. Claire Martin (EIU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Fabienne Schmidt  (APSU) def. Abby Carpenter (EIU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Helena Kuppig  (APSU) def. Karla Contreras (EIU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Danielle Morris  (APSU) def. Shelby Anderson (EIU) 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (3,5,6,2,4,1)