APSU Sports Information
Champaign, IL – The Austin Peay State University (APSU) men’s tennis team improved to .500 in Ohio Valley Conference play with a 4-0 win over Eastern Illinois, Friday.
The Governors (6-13, 2-2 OVC) have now claimed the last ten matches against the Panthers (13-14, 1-4 OVC), dating back to 2009.
EIU struck first blood with a win at No. 3 doubles, but the Govs battled back. Timo Kiesslich  and Christian Edison  combined for their fifth straight win at the No. 2 doubles spot with a 6-4 win.
That left Almantas Ozelis  and Anton Damberg  out at No. 1 doubles looking to clinch the point. After a back-and-forth affair, the match went into a tiebreak, which Ozelis and Damberg edged, 8-6, to give the Govs a 1-0 lead.
The Govs pounced on the perhaps dismayed Panthers in singles. Edison and Kiesslich led the Govs once again in singles with two straight-set wins. Edison defeated Mike Jansen, 6-1, 6-4, at No. 2 singles to put the Govs up 2-0, before Kiesslich won at No. 4 singles, 6-3, 6-2, to extend the lead to 3-0. Kiesslich has now won four of his past five singles matches.
Jacob Lorino  stepped up at No. 5 singles to deliver the winning point for the Govs. Lorino’s 6-3, 6-3 win gave the Govs their second OVC win of the year and keeps their hopes alive for a top three finish in the regular season.
Damberg and Hunter Sanders  each took the first set of their matches and Almantas Ozelis  was locked into a first-set tiebreaker, but the Govs had already clinched the match, rendering those matches unfinished.
The Govs return to action when they host Belmont next Saturday in their final regular season match.
Austin Peay 4, Eastern Illinois 0
3. Freddie O’Brien/Logan Charbonneau (EIU) def. Jacob Lorino /Chad Woodha, (APSU) 6-3
1. Almantas Ozelis  (APSU) vs. Freddie O’Brien (EIU) 6-6 (6-6), unfinished
2. Christian Edison  (APSU) def. Mike Jansen (EIU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Anton Damberg  (APSU) vs. Daniel Hernandez (EIU) 6-3, 2-5, unfinished
4. Timo Kiesslich  (APSU) def. Gage Kingsmith (EIU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Jacob Lorino  (APSU) def. Gertjan de Wilder (EIU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Hunter Sanders  (APSU) vs. Logan Charbonneau (EIU) 6-4, 2-5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,4,5)