APSU Sports Information
Valdosta, GA – The Austin Peay State University (APSU) women’s tennis team made it 10-for-10 to start the spring by defeating Valdosta State, 4-0, Thursday, at the VSU Tennis Courts.
Austin Peay Women’s Tennis beat Valdosta State Thursday to start spring season 10-0. (APSU Sports Information)
In six of the Governors (10-0) 10 wins this season, they have not allowed their opponents to score a point.
The singles has become even more dominant from a year ago, but the doubles play has dramatically improved, particularly behind the duo of junior transfer Tatiana Lopez and freshman Honoka Nakanishi.
Nakanishi and Lopez were at the forefront once again. After Lidia and Claudia Yanes Garcia won at No. 1 doubles, Nakanishi and Lopez won the doubles point with a 6-2 victory at No. 2 doubles. The partnership is now on a six-match win streak in doubles.
In singles, the Govs simply overwhelmed the Blazers (0-8). Freshman Danielle Morris put in another solid singles performance, winning 6-1, 6-0 at the No. 6 position to put the Govs up 2-0. Fabienne Schmidt claimed her first singles win since returning from injury, winning handily in straight sets as well (6-1, 6-3). With the Govs up 3-0 in the match, Lidia Yanes Garcia, playing at No. 2 singles, easily took care of Daniella Barta, 6-1, 6-1, to give the Govs their 10th straight win.
The Govs return home to take on Dayton, 3:00pm, next Wednesday, March 13th. It will be decided later if the match will take place indoors or outdoors.
Austin Peay 4, Valdosta State 0
1. Lidia Yanes Garcia/Claudia Yanes Garcia (APSU) def. Estee Widdershoven/Eva Rivoal (VSUWT) 6-1
2. Tatiana Lopez/Honoka Nakanishi (APSU) def. Daniella Barta/Hera Brynjarsdottir (VSUWT) 6-2
3. Birte Langestein/Rachel Chan-Yaneff (VSUWT) vs. Danielle Morris/Fabienne Schmidt (APSU) unfinished
1. Estee Widdershoven (VSUWT) vs. Claudia Yanes Garcia (APSU) 3-6, unfinished
2. Lidia Yanes Garcia (APSU) def. Daniella Barta (VSUWT) 6-1, 6-1
3. Birte Langestein (VSUWT) vs. Tatiana Lopez (APSU) 0-6, 6-2, unfinished
4. Fabienne Schmidt (APSU) def. Eva Rivoal (VSUWT) 6-1, 6-3
5. Hera Brynjarsdottir (VSUWT) vs. Helena Kuppig (APSU) 1-6, unfinished
6. Danielle Morris (APSU) def. Rachel Chan-Yaneff (VSUWT) 6-1, 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (6,4,2)
About APSU Sports Information
Austin Peay State University Sports Information provides the latest news and updates on the Athletic endeavors of the student-athletes at APSU. Under the direction of Brad Kirtley, the APSU SID’s office consists of Cody Bush, and Colby Wilson. To contact the APSU Sports Information office, contact, 931.221.7561.
Web Site: http://www.apsugovernors.com
SectionsAssociations, Austin Peay State University, Colleges, Featured Story, NCAA, Ohio Valley Conference, Sports, Tennis
TopicsAPSU, APSU Athletics, APSU Sports, apsu tennis, APSU Women's Tennis, Austin Peay State University, Claudia Yanes Garcia, Danielle Morris, Dayton, Fabienne Schmidt, Honoka Nakanishi, Lady govs, Lidia Yanes Garcia, Ohio Valley Conference, OVC, Tatiana Lopez, Valdosta GA, Valdosta State