APSU Sports Information
Clarksville, TN – For the second consecutive season, Austin Peay State University (APSU) men’s tennis team defeated Southern Indiana, this time via a 5-2 scoreline, Friday, at the Governors Tennis Center.
The Governors (3-6) won five of six singles matches, the same number in last year’s win, but fell behind early.
Austin Peay Men’s Tennis gets 5-2 home win against Southern Indiana Friday. (APSU Sports Information)
After the Screaming Eagles (4-2) won at No. 3 doubles, Almantas Ozelis and Anton Damberg claimed the win at No. 1 doubles, 6-4, but USI got the clutch win at No. 2 doubles to take a 1-0 lead into the singles matches.
Ozelis continued his brilliant day of tennis with a dominating 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 1 singles to even the match up, 1-1. Not long after, Christian Edison claimed his first win since his return from injury with a 6-3, 6-3 win at No. 2 singles to put the Govs up, 2-1.
Damberg continued the trend with another straight set win with a 6-3, 6-4 victory at No. 4 singles. Damberg has really picked up his play as of late after a rough start in the fall. Damberg has now won four of his last five singles matches. Hunter Sanders clinched the match for the Govs with a win at No. 6 singles, 6-3, 6-2. Sanders has also been impressive as of late, as he is currently on a four-match singles win streak.
USI won in three sets at No. 3 singles before Jacob Lorino rounded out the day with a straight-set win, 6-4, 7-5, at No. 5 singles.
The Govs have a quick turnaround, as they head on the road to take on Kennesaw State, 1 p.m., Saturday.
Austin Peay 5, Southern Indiana 2
1. Anton Damberg/Almantas Ozelis (APSU) def. Karelin, Ilia/Kromer, Marvin (USI) 6-4
2. Linares, Martin/Collignon, Parker (USI) def. Timo Kiesslich/Christian Edison (APSU) 7-5
3. Blandford, Spencer/Falkenstein, Kooper (USI) def. Hunter Sanders/Jacob Lorino (APSU) 6-4
1. Almantas Ozelis (APSU) def. Karelin, Ilia (USI) 6-0, 6-2
2. Christian Edison (APSU) def. Kromer, Marvin (USI) 6-3, 6-3
3. Collignon, Parker (USI) def. Timo Kiesslich (APSU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Anton Damberg (APSU) def. Blandford, Spencer (USI) 6-3, 6-4
5. Jacob Lorino (APSU) def. Linares, Martin (USI) 6-4, 7-6
6. Hunter Sanders (APSU) def. Falkenstein, Kooper (USI) 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,2,4,6,3,5)
About APSU Sports Information
Austin Peay State University Sports Information provides the latest news and updates on the Athletic endeavors of the student-athletes at APSU. Under the direction of Brad Kirtley, the APSU SID’s office consists of Cody Bush, and Colby Wilson. To contact the APSU Sports Information office, contact, 931.221.7561.
Web Site: http://www.apsugovernors.com
SectionsAssociations, Austin Peay State University, Colleges, Featured Story, NCAA, Ohio Valley Conference, Sports, Tennis
TopicsAlmantas Ozelis, Anton Damberg, APSU, APSU Athletics, APSU Men's Tennis, APSU Sports, apsu tennis, Austin Peay State University, Christian Edison, Clarksville, Clarksville TN, Governors, Governos Tennis Center, Govs, Hunter Sanders, Jacob Lorino, Kennesaw State, Ohio Valley Conference, OVC, Southern Indiana