APSU Govs roll over Jaguars for seventh straight win
Austin Peay State University Sports Information
Clarksville, TN – It was another dominating singles performance from Austin Peay State University (APSU) women’s tennis team, as they remained unbeaten by closing out their home stretch against IUPUI, Friday, at the Governors Tennis Center.
Austin Peay Women’s Tennis beats IUPUI 7-0 to remain unbeaten. (APSU Sports Information)
The Governors (7-0) faced some staunch resistance early on, as the Jaguars (2-5) took the opening doubles match at the No. 1 position.
The duo of Tatiana Lopez and Honoka Nakanishi answered back with a 6-4 win at No. 2 doubles, but at No. 3 doubles, drama was raging on.
Danielle Morris and Helena Kuppig entered in a tiebreak, which ultimately shaped the complexion of the match. The first-year pairing won the tiebreak, 7-5, as they claimed the doubles point to sap any momentum IUPUI thought they might receive.
In singles, the Govs were back to their usual dominate ways. Lidia Yanes Garcia was the first Gov to win, decimating her opponent with a big 6-1, 6-1 scoreline at No. 1 singles. Lopez put the Govs on the brink of their seventh straight win to start the year with a 6-1, 6-4 victory of her own at No. 3 singles and reigning OVC Tennis Player of the Week Claudia Yanes Garcia finished off the Jaguars with a 6-1, 6-3 win at No. 2 singles. Both Yanes Garcia sisters and Lopez remained unbeaten in singles this spring.
The fun did not stop there for the Govs, though, as they continue to roll over IUPUI. Helena Kuppig, Danielle Morris, and Ana Albertson all earned straight set wins. The winning of all of six singles matches in straight sets was the third time the Govs have accomplished the feat this season, winning 7-0 in all three matches.
The Govs have a week off before embarking on a four-match road trip, starting with North Alabama next Saturday.
Results: Austin Peay 7, IUPUI 0
1. Krystal Grubb/Gabrielle Ochalik (IUPUI) def. Lidia Yanes Garcia/Claudia Yanes Garcia (APSU) 6-4
2. Tatiana Lopez/Honoka Nakanishi (APSU) def. Mariella Pessina/Meghan Bernard (IUPUI) 6-4
3. Danielle Morris/Helena Kuppig (APSU) def. Sarah Lounsbury/Samantha Hayward (IUPUI) 7-6 (7-5)
1. Lidia Yanes Garcia (APSU) def. Gabrielle Ochalik (IUPUI) 6-1, 6-1
2. Claudia Yanes Garcia (APSU) def. Sarah Lounsbury (IUPUI) 6-1, 6-3
3. Tatiana Lopez (APSU) def. Krystal Grubb (IUPUI) 6-1, 6-4
4. Helena Kuppig (APSU) def. Mariella Pessina (IUPUI) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
5. Danielle Morris (APSU) def. Meghan Bernard (IUPUI) 6-4, 6-2
6. Ana Albertson (APSU) def. Samantha Hayward (IUPUI) 7-6 (7-4), 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,3,2,4,5,6)