APSU Sports Information
Clarksville, TN – Austin Peay State University (APSU) women’s tennis team rolled over Cumberland University, winning every singles match in straight sets to remain unbeaten, Tuesday, at the Governors Tennis Center.
The Governors (5-0) imposed their stranglehold on the match from the get-go in doubles.
Austin Peay Women’s Tennis remains unbeaten with home win over Cumberland, Monday. (APSU Sports Information)
The twin duo of Lidia Yanes Garcia and Claudia Yanes Garcia easily won at No. 1 doubles, 6-1, and Helena Kuppig and Danielle Morris followed up with a 6-1 victory of their own to claim the doubles point for the Govs.
At No. 2 doubles, Tatiana Lopez and Honoka Nakanishi were ahead 5-3, but the match went unfinished.
The Govs continued to impress in singles, with Lopez winning her fifth straight match after a 6-1, 6-1 victory at No. 3 singles. Lidia made it a 3-0 Govs lead after dominating one of the best NAIA players in the country, winning 6-2, 6-1. Kuppig, who clinched numerous matches last season for the Govs, did the same today after winning 6-3, 6-1.
Claudia added a win of her own at No. 2 singles before the match was rounded off by two more straight-set wins from Morris at No. 5 singles and Nakanishi at No. 6 singles. For Nakanishi, it was her first career singles win in her first career attempt as a Governor. In addition to Nakanishi improving to 1-0, the Yanes Garcia twins and Lopez remain unbeaten in singles to start the spring season.
The Govs are in the thick of their five-match homestand and will take on Central Arkansas, 11:00am, Saturday, February 9th.
Results: Austin Peay 7, Cumberland 0
1. Lidia Yanes Garcia/Claudia Yanes Garcia (APSU) def. Ainhoa Garrido/Jessica Hernandez (CU) 6-1
2. Honoka Nakanishi/Tatiana Lopez (APSU) vs. Marianela Landi/Ksenija Dmitrovic (CU) 5-3, unfinished
3. Danielle Morris/Helena Kuppig (APSU) def. Kylie Humphrey/Stefanie Navaratnam (CU) 6-1
1. Lidia Yanes Garcia (APSU) def. Ainhoa Garrido (CU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Claudia Yanes Garcia (APSU) def. Jessica Hernandez (CU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Tatiana Lopez (APSU) def. Marianela Landi (CU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Helena Kuppig (APSU) def. Ksenija Dmitrovic (CU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Danielle Morris (APSU) def. Kylie Humphrey (CU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Honoka Nakanishi (APSU) def. Stefanie Navaratnam (CU) 6-1, 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (3,1,4,2,5,6)
About APSU Sports Information
Austin Peay State University Sports Information provides the latest news and updates on the Athletic endeavors of the student-athletes at APSU. Under the direction of Brad Kirtley, the APSU SID’s office consists of Cody Bush, and Colby Wilson. To contact the APSU Sports Information office, contact, 931.221.7561.
Web Site: http://www.apsugovernors.com
SectionsAssociations, Austin Peay State University, Colleges, Featured Story, NCAA, Ohio Valley Conference, Sports, Tennis
TopicsAPSU, APSU Athletics, APSU Governors Tennis Center, APSU Sports, apsu tennis, APSU Women's Tennis, Austin Peay State University, Central Arkanas, Clarksville, Clarksville TN, Claudia Yanes Garcia, Cumberland, Cumberland University, Danielle Morris, Helena Kuppig, Honoka Nakanishi, Lady govs, Lidia Yanes Garcia, Ohio Valley Conference, OVC, Tatiana Lopez