APSU Sports Information
Clarksville, TN – Austin Peay State University beach volleyball picks up two victories in the opening day of the Ohio Valley Challenge.
In the early morning match against fellow 2019 ASUN affiliate, Jacksonville State, the Govs got off to a good start, as both the number four and five pairings won in three-set thrillers, to give Austin Peay an early two-point edge.
However, the Govs dropped the next two pairings, before Ginny Gerig  and Cecily Gable  won in dramatic fashion to give the Govs a victory in their first official match at the Govs Beach Volleyball Complex, on the newly minted Caffee Family Center Court.
After an extended break, the Governors returned to the court after lunch to face Morehead State, where the Govs showed complete control, winning the matchup by four games to one. Gerig and Gable continued their run, dropping the number one Morehead State pairing in straight sets, while Jenna Panning  and Haley Turner also earned the Govs a point in two sets.
Slay and Theiss earned their second win of the day in another three-set affair, while Taff and Stitt topped the Eagles competition in straight sets.
The Govs will return to the court tomorrow for day two of the Ohio Valley Challenge, facing Lincoln Memorial and Carson-Newman.
Austin Peay will also honor lone senior Ashley Slay  in the final match against Carson-Newman for her efforts as a pioneer in the Govs inaugural beach volleyball season in 2017, and her steady leadership throughout the 2018 season.
Be sure to follow the Govs on Twitter at @AustinPeayBVB  for updates throughout the weekend, and prep for the next matchups by checking out the Governors’ Forecast.
Austin Peay 3, Jacksonville State 2
- No. 1 – Gable/Gerig (APSU) def. Will/Anderson (JSU) 12-21, 25-16, 15-11
- No. 2 – Ludtke/Kirk (JSU) def. Darland/Moore (APSU) 21-17, 21-19
- No. 3 – Hughes/ Schmidt (JSU) def. Panning/Turner (APSU) 22-20, 12-21, 15-9
- No. 4 – Theiss/Slay (APSU) def. Kaylee Frear/Grace Jarnagin (JSU) 21-17, 12-21, 15-9
- No. 5 – Stitt/Taff (APSU) def. Cloutier/Clingan (JSU) 21-13, 12-21, 15-12
Austin Peay 4, Morehead State 1
- 1. Gerig/Gable (APSU) def. Wachtman/Allen (MOR) 21-14, 22-20
- 2. Clark/Lohmeier (MOR) def. Korfhage/Moore (APSU) 22-20, 21-18
- 3. Panning/Turner (APSU) def. Cecil/Reynolds (MOR) 21-11, 21-9
- 4. Slay/Theiss (APSU) def. McCarson/Fella (MOR) 18-21, 21-17, 15-12
- 5. Taff/Stitt (APSU) def. Jones/Hall (MOR) 21-12, 21-11
The Governors’ Forecast
|April 21||Lincoln Memorial||9:30am|