APSU Sports Information
Richmond, Ky – Austin Peay State University women’s tennis team could not overcome Eastern Kentucky in the regular season finale, falling 6-1, Friday, at the Tom Higgins Outdoor Courts.
The Govs (10-8, 6-3 OVC) knew they would be playing for seeding in next week’s Ohio Valley Conference Tournament, but the Colonels (13-8, 8-0 OVC) still were playing for an OVC regular season title, which will be decided tomorrow. The Colonels came out of the gate fast, winning easily at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles to claim the doubles point.
The singles did not start much better for the Govs, as EKU went up 2-0 with a win at No. 4 singles. However, Fabienne Schmidt easily defeated EKU’s Viktorija Demcenkova (6-1, 6-4) at No. 3 singles to cut EKU’s lead to one. The Colonels responded though, reeling off four straight wins to win the match 6-1. Lidia Yanes Garcia had her sixteen dual-match winning streak ended, but it stands as the second longest streak in Governors history.
APSU Sports Information
The Govs will wait to see who and when they will play in next week’s OVC Tournament.
Eastern Kentucky 6, Austin Peay 1
1. Kristina Lagoda/Viktorija Demcenkova (EKU) def. Ana Albertson/Helena Kuppig (APSU) 6-2
2. Lisa Friess/Alexandra Belle (EKU) vs. Fabienne Schmidt/Brittney Covington (APSU) unfinished
3. Laura Argente/Raquel Montalvo (EKU) def. Lidia Yanes Garcia/Claudia Yanes Garcia (APSU) 6-4
1. Laura Argente (EKU) def. Lidia Yanes Garcia (APSU) 7-6, 6-3
2. Kristina Lagoda (EKU) def. Claudia Yanes Garcia (APSU) 7-5, 6-0
3. Fabienne Schmidt (APSU) def. Viktorija Demcenkova (EKU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Alexandra Belle (EKU) def. Helena Kuppig (APSU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Lisa Friess (EKU) def. Ana Albertson (APSU) 7-6, 6-4
6. Margaux Lacroix (EKU) def. Brittney Covington (APSU) 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (4,3,6,2,1,5)
About Hank Bonecutter
Hank Bonecutter is a retired broadcaster, currently blogging at www.clarksvillemotorcycle.com where he hosts “Dodging the Roadkill a Bikers Journey”, chronicling his travels and experiences on his Harley Davidson Ultra Limited touring machine. As a contributor to the Clarksville Sports Network, Clarksville Online and more, his passion is motorcycles, sports and family. He writes a popular feature at Clarksville Online titled, “My Two Cents” and publishes his travel journal at “Dodging the Roadkill.” A media consultant, and social media advisor, he primarily keeps his followers up to speed on the latest motorcycle news and events. Contact Hank at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Web Site: http://clarksvillesportsnetwork.com/
SectionsAnnouncements, Associations, Austin Peay State University, Colleges, Featured Story, NCAA, Ohio Valley Conference, Sports, Tennis
TopicsAlexandra Belle, Ana Albertson, APSU, apsu tennis, Austin Peay, Austin Peay State University, Brittney Covington, Clarksville, Clarksville Tennessee, Colonels, Eastern Kentucky, eastern kentucky colonels, EKU, Fabienne Schmidt, Governors, Govs, Helena Kuppig, Kentucky, Lady govs, Laura Argente, Lidia Yanes Garcia, Lisa Friess, Ohio Valley Conference, OVC, Raquel Montalvo, Richmond, richmond kentucky, Tennessee, Tennis, Tom Higgins, Tom Higgins Outdoor Courts, Viktorija Demcenkova