APSU Govs narrowly drop regular season finale at EKU
APSU Sports Information
Richmond, KY – Austin Peay State University men’s tennis team put up a valiant fight against Eastern Kentucky, but fell in the regular season finale, 4-3, at the Tom Higgins Outdoor Courts.
The Govs (2-16, 1-4 OVC) were looking to gain some momentum before the Ohio Valley Conference Tournament next week and came out of the gates hot.
Austin Peay Men’s Tennis falls to Eastern Kentucky 4-3 Friday afternoon in Richmond. (APSU Sports Information)
Chad Woodham and Evan Bottorff whitewashed the team of Juan Soria and Eduardo Cabral (6-0) at No. 3 doubles to start things off.
The Colonels (7-18, 3-3 OVC) took an early lead in No. 2 doubles, but Aleh Drobysh and Almantas Ozelis continued their fine run of form in doubles this season, defeating Ramon van Flymen and Gabriel Ruiz (6-3) at No. 1 doubles to give Austin Peay a 1-0 lead. Drobysh and Ozelis end their regular season with an unbeaten record in OVC doubles.
EKU struck back with two straight-set wins at No. 5 and No. 6 singles to go up in the match. However, Ozelis turned in a masterful performance, defeating van Flyman at No. 1 singles in straight sets (6-3, 6-4) to tie the match up again.
The Colonels won the next point in the match at No. 4 singles, but Drobysh fought bravely for a win at No. 3 singles (6-4, 7-5) to knot the match up at three a piece with one singles match to be played. Unfortunately for the Govs, EKU won that match and narrowly won by a score of 4-3 to improve to 3-3 in the OVC.
The Govs must wait to see what seed they are, who they play, and when they play next Friday in the OVC Tournament.
Eastern Kentucky 4, Austin Peay 3
1. Aleh Drobysh/Almantas Ozelis (APSU) def. Ramon van Flymen/Gabriel Ruiz (EKU) 6-3
2. Parth Aggarwal/Guillem Sanchis (EKU) vs. Christian Edison/Timo Kiesslich (APSU) 5-3, unfinished
3. Chad Woodham/Evan Bottorff (APSU) def. Juan Soria/Eduardo Cabral (EKU) 6-0
1. Almantas Ozelis (APSU) def. Ramon van Flymen (EKU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Parth Aggarwal (EKU) def. Christian Edison (APSU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Aleh Drobysh (APSU) def. Guillem Sanchis (EKU) 6-4, 7-5
4. Gabriel Ruiz (EKU) def. Timo Kiesslich (APSU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Nicolas Castaldo (EKU) def. Jacob Lorino (APSU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Carlos Dodero (EKU) def. Chad Woodham (APSU) 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (5,6,1,4,3,2)