APSU SPORTS INFORMATION
Birmingham, Ala — Austin Peay State University beach volleyball put up a strong fight against Central Arkansas and Mercer to close out Blazer Beach Duals, Saturday.
Austin Peay was unable to crack Central Arkansas, but Ginny Gerig and Cecily Gable forced a third set against the Bears number one pairing after they took the second set in dominant fashion, 21-6, before falling 15-10 in the third set. The veteran-newcomer duo of Ashley Slay and Cori Theiss also stole a set from the Bears, winning the first set 21-15, but their late push came up short in the deciding set.
APSU Sports Information
Later in the afternoon, the Govs looked to be gaining momentum against Mercer, but the three set heroics of Jenna Panning and Haley Turner and the dominant offense of Kaylee Taff and Chloe Stitt fell short, as the Govs lost 3-2 to Mercer.
Panning and Turner opened the number two pairing, dropping a close set 21-23, before holding off the charging Bears 26-24. In the deciding set, the Governors’ duo topped Mercer taking the set 15-9. In the number five pairing, Taff and Stitt worked seamlessly to dominate the Bears with a two-set victory, 21-15, 21-16.
The Governors will return to the beach, 3 p.m., Friday, against Lincoln Memorial, in Jefferson City, Tenn.
Be sure to follow the Govs on Twitter at @AustinPeayBVB for updates throughout the weekend, and prep for the next matchups by checking out the Governors’ Forecast.
Austin Peay 0, Central Arkansas 5
- No. 1 – Tippett/Nash (UCA) def. Gerig/Gable (APSU) – 14-21, 21-6, 15-10
- No. 2 – Driver/Rogers (UCA) def. Panning/Moore (APSU) – 21-11, 21-11
- No. 3 – Martinez/Pollnow (UCA) def. Turner/Waite (APSU) – 21-8, 21-16
- No. 4 – Hjembo/Hamilton (UCA) def. Slay/Theiss (APSU) – 21-15, 17-21, 15-8
- No. 5 – Dear/Homes (UCA) def. Taff/Stitt (APSU) – 21-11, 21-18
- Exh. – Brinkley/Schnars (UCA) def. Darland/Korfhage (APSU) – 22-20, 21-13
Austin Peay 2, Mercer 3
- No. 1 – Peel/Ogden (Mercer) def. Gerig/Cable (APSU) – 21-19, 21-11
- No. 2 – Panning/Turner (APSU) def. Johnson/Gibson (Mercer) – 21-23, 26-24, 15-9
- No. 3: Gibson/Garanich (Mercer) def. Waite/Moore (APSU) – 21-13, 21-16
- No. 4 – Keeling/Merchant (Mercer) def. Slay/Theiss (APSU) – 21-14, 21-12
- No. 5: Taff/Stitt (AP) def. Wissmach/Stewart (Mercer) – 21-15, 21-16
- Exh – Pringle/Kells (UAB) def. Darland/Korfhage (AP) – 21-18, 21-8
About Hank Bonecutter
Hank Bonecutter is a retired broadcaster, currently blogging at www.clarksvillemotorcycle.com where he hosts “Dodging the Roadkill a Bikers Journey”, chronicling his travels and experiences on his Harley Davidson Ultra Limited touring machine. As a contributor to the Clarksville Sports Network, Clarksville Online and more, his passion is motorcycles, sports and family. He writes a popular feature at Clarksville Online titled, “My Two Cents” and publishes his travel journal at “Dodging the Roadkill.” A media consultant, and social media advisor, he primarily keeps his followers up to speed on the latest motorcycle news and events. Contact Hank at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Web Site: http://clarksvillesportsnetwork.com/
SectionsAnnouncements, Austin Peay State University, Colleges, Featured Story, NCAA, Ohio Valley Conference, Sports, Volleyball
TopicsAlabama, APSU, APSU Beach Volleyball, Ashley Slay, Beach, Beach Volleyball, Bears, Birmingham, Birmingham Alabama, Blazer Beach Duals, Cecily Gable, Central Arkansas, Chloe Stitt, Cori Theiss, Ginny Gerig, Govs, Haley Turner, Jefferson City, Jefferson City Tennessee, Jenna Panning, Kaylee Taff, Lady govs, Llincoln Memorial, Mercer, volleyball