APSU Sports Information
Clarksville, TN – With seven seconds on the game clock and the score level, Austin Peay State University women’s basketball head coach David Midlick drew up an isolation play for senior forward Beth Rates on the wing.
Rates backed her defender down and pulled up for a turnaround jumper, the eventual game-winning shot.
The Governors (5-3) went on to win 77-74 over East Tennessee, Saturday in the Dunn Center, for their fourth home victory of 2016.
Austin Peay Women’s Basketball gets 77-74 win over East Tennessee in final seconds Wednesday night at the Dunn Center. (APSU Sports Information)
With 30 seconds remaining, senior center Tearra Banks found a clear path for a wide-open layup, and was fouled on the shot. It put the Govs up three, but on the opposite end, ETSU’s Shamauria Bridges connected on a three-pointer to knot the score at 74-74 before Rates’ shot.
Austin Peay closed the game 5-of-5 from the field, and scored 26 of their 77 points in the final period. Banks finished with a team-high 23 points along with eight rebounds, while Rates (17 points, 11 boards) and redshirt sophomore guard Falon Baker (17 points) also were in double figures.
- The Governors were lights-out in the final period, shooting 62.5 percent (10-of-16) from the floor.
- Banks finished the game 9-of-15 for the ninth 20-point performance of her four-year career. She is now only 16 points away from reaching the 1,000 mark, currently with 984.
- For Rates, it’s the third double-double of her career after an efficient 7-of-9 shooting display, and was one shy of matching her career-high in points.
- Baker was three away from tying her career-best of 20 points after hitting five threes on the night, three of which coming in the second half.
- Junior point guard Bri Williams nearly played the full duration at 39 minutes, finishing with eight points, seven assists and three steals.
- Sophomore guard Keisha Gregory also added eight points which included a triple, three points away from her career-high.
David Midlick’s Message
“Tearra has absolutely worked since last April on her game and conditioning. I was happy to see her excited out there and playing great basketball.”
Up Next for APSU
The Governors are back in the Dunn Center at noon, Saturday, December 3rd, hosting Western Kentucky in nonconference action.
About APSU Sports Information
Austin Peay State University Sports Information provides the latest news and updates on the Athletic endeavors of the student-athletes at APSU. Under the direction of Brad Kirtley, the APSU SID’s office consists of Cody Bush, and Colby Wilson. To contact the APSU Sports Information office, contact, 931.221.7561.
Web Site: http://www.apsugovernors.com
SectionsAssociations, Austin Peay State University, Basketball (Women), Colleges, Featured Story, NCAA, Ohio Valley Conference, Sports
TopicsAPSU, APSU Athletics, APSU Basketball, APSU Dunn Center, APSU Sports, APSU Women's Basketball, Austin Peay State University, Beth Rates, Bri Williams, Clarksville TN, David Midlick, East Tennessee, ETSU, Falon Baker, Keisha Gregory, Lady govs, Ohio Valley Conference, OVC, Tearra Banks, Western Kentucky