APSU Sports Information
Clarksville, TN – Sophomore guard Josh Robinson, of the Austin Peay State University men’s basketball team, has been named the Copies in a Flash APSU Athlete of the Week.
Robinson scored a game-high 24 points in the Govs 105-79 loss to top-seed Kansas in the NCAA Tournament, hitting 7-of-16 from the floor and 7-of-8 from the free-throw line.
After sliding over to point guard with two games to go in the regular season, the St. Louis native averaged 21.0 points on 45.2 percent (42-of-93) shooting to lead APSU from fringe contender to Ohio Valley Conference Champion.
He also averaged 3.9 assists and hit 75.9 percent (41-of-54) from the free-throw line.
The Copies in a Flash APSU Athlete of the Week is selected by the APSU Sports Information staff each Wednesday during the academic year.
Copies in a Flash, of Clarksville, sponsors the award.
Other notable performances by Austin Peay athletes included
- Junior utility player Ridge Smith, of the baseball team, saw four of his five base hits go for extra bases (three home runs, one double) and added six RBI and nine runs scored in five games for the Govs last week.
- Junior pitcher Autumn Hanners, of the softball team, twirled a three-hit shutout against SIU Edwardsville for Austin Peay’s first OVC win of 2016 and added four innings of one-hit ball in a loss to Middle Tennessee.
- Senior Jessica Cathey, of the women’s golf team, finished eighth at the Bobby Nichols Intercollegiate, with her first-round 75 serving as APSU’s best individual score; the Govs finished fifth as a team.
- Freshman Lidia Yanes Garcia, of the women’s tennis team, earned straight-set wins at No. 1 against Morehead State’s Ayaka Terashi (6-2, 6-4) and Eastern Kentucky’s Laura Argente (6-2, 6-4), making her 6-2 at No. 1 during the 2016 season.
- Junior Erik Hedberg, of the men’s golf team, led Austin Peay to a third-place finish at the Bobby Nichols Intercollegiate with a career-best fourth-place finish; the Spaniard shot 70-77-71 over three rounds, finishing two shots over par and five behind Murray State’s Preston French.
About APSU Sports Information
Austin Peay State University Sports Information provides the latest news and updates on the Athletic endeavors of the student-athletes at APSU. Under the direction of Brad Kirtley, the APSU SID’s office consists of Cody Bush, and Colby Wilson. To contact the APSU Sports Information office, contact, 931.221.7561.
Web Site: http://www.apsugovernors.com
SectionsAnnouncements, Associations, Austin Peay State University, Basketball (Men), Colleges, Featured Story, NCAA, Ohio Valley Conference, Sports
TopicsAPSU, APSU Athlete of the Week, APSU Athletics, APSU Basketball, APSU Men's Basketball, APSU Sports, Austin Peay State University, Autumn Hanners, Ayaka Terashi, Bobby Nichols Intercollegiate, Clarksville TN, Copies in a Flash, Eastern Kentucky, Erik Hedberg, Governors, Govs, Jessica Cathey, Josh Robinson, Kansas, Laura Argente, Lidia Yanes Garcia, Middle Tennessee, Morehead State, Murray State, NCAA Tournament, Ohio Valley Conference, OVC, OVC Champions, Preston French, Ridge Smith, siu edwardsville, St. Louis MO