Panthers edge APSU in thrilling OVC match
Austin Peay Sports Information
Clarksville, TN – Saturday’s Ohio Valley Conference contest between Austin Peay State University and Eastern Illinois came down to the final match, with the Panthers narrowly earning the No. 6 singles point en route to a 4-3 victory.
The APSU Lady Govs (2-8) mounted a comeback in singles action, taking a 3-2 lead before Isabela Jovanovic met Abby Carpenter. Despite a hard-fought effort from the APSU junior, Carpenter prevailed, 7-6, 7-6(5).
APSU Lady Govs Tennis. (APSU Sports Information)
In doubles play, EIU (9-5) swept the Govs, beginning with Hannah Kimbrough and Grace Summers defeating Lidia Yanes Garcia and Helena Kuppig, 6-4. At No. 3, Srishti Slaria and Katie Stadalninkaite topped Hannah Tatlock and Jovanovic, 6-3, while the third and finally match between Claudia Yanes Garcia and Brittney Covington vs. Kelly Iden and Ali Foster was unfinished.
The Yanes Garcia tandem led the Austin Peay rally in singles, with each claiming wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 spots. Lidia knocked off Iden, 6-2, 6-2, while Claudia followed suit with a 6-4, 6-0 victory over Foster.
APSU’s third victory came at No. 4, where Tatlock outmatched Kimbrough, 6-4. However, the Panthers didn’t shy away, with Summers defeating Kuppig, 6-4, 6-0, and Slaria cruising against Covington, 6-2, 6-0, leading to the win.
Austin Peay will embark on a two-match roadtrip, beginning with an April Fool’s contest at Southeast Missouri, Friday.
- YANES GARCIA, Lidia (APSU) def. IDEN, Kelly (EIUW) 6-2, 6-2
- YANES GARCIA, Claudi (APSU) def. FOSTER, Ali (EIUW) 6-4, 6-0
- SUMMERS, Grace (EIUW) def. KUPPIG, Helena (APSU) 6-4, 6-0
- TATLOCK, Hannah (APSU) def. KIMBROUGH, Hannah (EIUW) 6-4, 6-4
- SLARIA, Srishti (EIUW) def. COVINGTON, Brittney (APSU) 6-2, 6-0
- CARPENTER, Abby (EIUW) def. JOVANOVIC, Isabela (APSU) 7-6, 7-6 (10-5)
- SUMMERS, Grace/KIMBROUGH, Hannah (EIUW) def. YANES GARCIA, Lidia/KUPPIG, Helena (APSU) 6-4
- YANES GARCIA, Claudi/COVINGTON, Brittney (APSU) vs. IDEN, Kelly/FOSTER, Ali (EIUW) 4-4, unfinished
- SLARIA, Srishti/STADALNINKAITE, K. (EIUW) def. TATLOCK, Hannah/JOVANOVIC, Isabela (APSU) 6-3