Austin Peay Sports Information
Clarksville, TN – Junior Tiasha Gray, of the Austin Peay State University women’s basketball team, has been named the Copies in a Flash APSU Athlete of the Week.
Gray took home adidas®/Ohio Valley Conference Women’s Basketball Player of the Week honors after her 36-point, six-steal performance helped Austin Peay clinch the No. 7 seed on the regular season’s final day with a comeback win at Southeast Missouri, Saturday. She also was tabbed as CollegeSportsMadness.com OVC Women’s Basketball Player of the Week for her work against the Redhawks.
The Clarksville Tennessee native took over the national Division I lead in steals at 3.76 per game, passing Weber State’s Regina Okoye (3.67 spg). Her 109 steals for 2014-15 ranks third all-time in OVC history.
Gray’s not just a destructive presence on the defensive end – her offensive barrage will go down as one of the greatest single-season performances in Austin Peay history.
The 36-point outing at SEMO was her second consecutive 30-point outing and her season’s eighth – Austin Peay’s all-time leading scorer, current assistant coach Brooke Armistead, had 11 30-point games her entire APSU career.
The Copies in a Flash APSU Athlete of the Week is selected by the APSU Sports Information staff each Tuesday during the academic year. Copies in a Flash, of Clarksville, sponsors the award.
Other notable performances by Austin Peay athletes included
- Sophomore infielder Christiana Gable, of the softball team, was 4-for-6 with three RBI, two runs scored, a home run and a double for Austin Peay at last weekend’s Winthrop Tournament in Rock Hill, SC.
- Junior center Chris Horton, of the men’s basketball team, had the program’s first 20-rebound effort since Tyrone Beck against UT Martin in 1994, with a 20-board, five-block effort against SIU Edwardsville, where he also passed Josh Lewis for first all-time in career blocked shots. He closed the season with a 20-point outing at Southeast Missouri.
- Sophomore pitcher Caleb Powell, of the baseball team, scattered six hits and one earned run over seven innings, striking out five for his season’s second win in the series finale against Western Michigan, Sunday.
- Senior Aleksas Tverijonas, of the men’s tennis team, defeated Southern Indiana’s Sam Kiladejo (6-2, 6-2) and Lindsey Wilson’s Denis Porcic (6-1, 6-0) in No. 2 singles action last week, and also teamed with Aaron Jumonville to dispatch Kiladejo and Anthony Van Rompay at No. 2 doubles (8-3) in the Govs win against the Screaming Eagles, Wednesday.
- Junior sprinter Breigh Jones, of the track and field team, won gold in the 400m dash (55.57) and picked up silver in the 200m (24.88) and 4x400m (3:50.16) at the OVC Indoor Championships in Charleston, IL. Jones was responsible as an individual or relay participant for 26 of Austin Peay’s 82 team points.
- Sophomore Hannah Tatlock, of the women’s tennis team, scored a 6-0, 6-3 win against Lindsey Wilson’s Diana Gerlakh at No. 2 singles and teamed with senior Jovana Karac for an 8-2 triumph over Gerlakh and Anna Gaprindashvili at No. 2 doubles to snap a season-opening seven-match losing streak for the Lady Govs.
- Sophomore jumper Chancis Jones, of the track and field team, earned a pair of bronze medals – one in Friday’s long jump (season-best 5.72m) and one in Saturday’s triple jump (12.18m) – at the OVC Indoor Championships.
About APSU Sports Information
Austin Peay State University Sports Information provides the latest news and updates on the Athletic endeavors of the student-athletes at APSU. Under the direction of Brad Kirtley, the APSU SID’s office consists of Cody Bush, and Colby Wilson. To contact the APSU Sports Information office, contact, 931.221.7561.
Web Site: http://www.apsugovernors.com
SectionsAnnouncements, Associations, Austin Peay State University, Basketball (Women), Colleges, Featured Story, NCAA, Ohio Valley Conference, Sports
TopicsAaron Jumonville, Aleksas Tverijonas, Anna Gaprindashvili, Anthony Van Rompay, APSU, APSU Athlete of the Week, APSU Athletics, APSU Basketball, APSU Sports, APSU Sports Information, APSU Women's Basketball, Austin Peay State University, Breigh Jones, Brooke Armistead, Caleb Powell, Chancis Jones, Charleston IL, chris horton, Christiana Gable, Clarksville TN, Copies in a Flash, Denis Porcic, Diana Gerlakh, Hannah Tatlock, Josh Lewis, Jovana Karac, Lady govs, Lindsey Wilson, Ohio Valley Conference, OVC, OVC Indoor Championships, OVC Player of the Week, RedHawks, Regina Okoye, Rock Hill SC, Sam Kiladejo, Screaming Eagles, SEMO, siu edwardsville, Southeast Missouri, Southern Indiana, Tyrone Beck, UT-Martin, Weber State, Western Michigan, Winthrop Tournament