Clarksville’s Malcolm Smith nets 22 to lift Lipscomb Men’s Basketball past Tennessee State Tigers
Lipscomb Sports Information
Nashville, TN – Behind a season high, 22-point effort from senior forward Malcolm Smith, the Lipscomb men’s basketball downed cross-town foe Tennessee State 77-68 on Saturday afternoon at Allen Arena.
The veteran hit 8-of-11 from the field and added six free throws at the line and hauled in a game-high eight rebounds to lead the Bisons (3-5).
“Malcolm definitely carried us in the first half and the best part about it from a coaches’ perspective is that he did all within the framework of the offense,” said Lipscomb head coach Casey Alexander. “He played within himself and that’s something that he can give us. In a time when we’re struggling to find ourselves it’s nice to have a senior, veteran, successful player step up and take the lead.”
Lipscomb Men’s Basketball beats Tennessee State Tigers 77-68. (LU Sports Information)
The Clarksville native was part of a dominating performance in the paint by Lipscomb that saw the Purple and Gold hold a 44-16 advantage down low over the Tigers (2-7).
“If a team is going to crowd us at the 3-point line like a lot of teams are going to do, then that’s what we have to do to counter that,” said Alexander.
Malcolm Smith was joined in double figures by freshman guard Nathan Moran who scored 13 overall, including 11 in the second half, and sophomore guard Josh Williams, who added 11.
“Nathan was really good down the stretch,” noted Alexander. “He made a huge three and sank his free throws. I’m proud of him. He’s played so well and he’s inserted himself as an important player for us already.”
Tennessee State’s Marcus Roper led the Tigers with a 21-point effort hitting 7-of-14 from the field and 4-of-9 from deep. Roper led the Tigers to 10-of-21 shooting from deep that helped them keep the game close.
The Bisons would turn the heat up defensively in the last eight minutes of the contest to seal the win allowing TSU to score just 10 points down the stretch to secure the win.
- Josh Williams scored in double figures for the 10th straight game for the Bisons, a figure that leads the Atlantic Sun Conference.
- Malcolm Smith tied former Bison great Adnan Hodzic on the all-time free-throw leaders list. The duo both now have 604.
- The Bisons took care of the ball forcing 19 Tiger turnovers that were converted into 23 points. Lipscomb has now won the turnover battle in six out of seven contests in 2014-15.
- Lipscomb’s six three pointers were the fewest so far in 2014-15.
- The Purple and Gold finished the night with a slim 33-32 on the boards.
Next Up: The Bisons take a break for exams this week before returning to action on the road next Saturday at Austin Peay.