APSU Sports Information
Clarksville, TN – Freshman quarterback Mickey Macius, of the Austin Peay State University football team, has been named the Copies in a Flash APSU Athlete of the Week.
Macius completed 18-of-22 passes for 201 yards and three touchdowns in topping Murray State and giving the Governors their first victory since November 17th, 2012. His 81.8 completion percentage marked the first time an APSU quarterback had been above 80 percent since the 2003 season when the Govs were playing non-scholarship football.
Macius and the Govs knocked off the Racers for the first time at home since 1991 and gave head coach Kirby Cannon his first victory as Austin Peay’s head coach, snapping an FCS-long 18-game losing streak in the process.
Sunday, Macius was named adidas® Ohio Valley Conference Co-Newcomer of the Week, sharing the award with Eastern Illinois’ Jalen Whitlow.
It was the first career weekly honor for the Arlington Heights, IL, native and the first by a Governor since Omar Williams was Newcomer of the Week, November 3rd, 2013 and the first by an Austin Peay quarterback since Jake Ryan earned Co-Offensive Player of the Week for November 18th, 2012.
He also earned Tennessee Sports Writers Association Offensive Player of the Week, the second in a row for an Austin Peay football player from the state-wide association.
The Copies in a Flash APSU Athlete of the Week is selected by the APSU Sports Information staff each Tuesday during the academic year. Copies in a Flash, of Clarksville, sponsors the award.
Other notable performances by Austin Peay athletes included
- Senior outside hitter Jada Stotts, of the volleyball team, had a double-double in both matches last weekend, including a 12-kill, 14-dig effort against Tennessee State.
- Freshman wide receiver Jared Beard, of the football team, caught all three of Macius’ touchdown passes – the first three-touchdown receiving effort by a Gov since Devin Stark in 2012 – as part of a career-best seven-reception, 88-yard effort against Murray State.
- Sophomore Manuel Montenegro, of the men’s tennis team, went 3-2 at the ITA Ohio Valley Regionals, advancing to the semifinals of the consolation bracket, including a three-set win against Memphis’ Patrick Mayer.
- Sophomore cornerback Roderick Owens, of the football team, had two interceptions – the first multi-interception game by a Governor defender since Jason Vanatta against Murray State in 2008 – made seven tackles (one tackle for loss), broke up a pass and recovered a fumble in the Govs win against the Racers.
- Sophomore Daniel Hamm, of the men’s cross country team, was the top Division I finisher at the UE Invitational, finishing fourth overall with a 26:13.30 eight-kilometer run.
About APSU Sports Information
Austin Peay State University Sports Information provides the latest news and updates on the Athletic endeavors of the student-athletes at APSU. Under the direction of Brad Kirtley, the APSU SID’s office consists of Cody Bush, and Colby Wilson. To contact the APSU Sports Information office, contact, 931.221.7561.
Web Site: http://www.apsugovernors.com
SectionsAssociations, Austin Peay State University, Colleges, Featured Story, Football, NCAA, Ohio Valley Conference, Sports
TopicsAdidas, APSU, APSU Athlete of the Week, APSU Athletics, apsu football, APSU Men's Football, APSU Sports, APSU Sports of Information, Arlington Heights IL, Austin Peay State University, Clarksville TN, Copies in a Flash, Daniel Hamm, devin stark, Eastern Illinois, Governors, Govs, Jada Stotts, Jake Ryan, Jalen Whitlow, Jared Beard, Jason Vanatta, Kirby Cannon, Manuel Montenegro, Memphis, Mickey Macius, Murray State, Ohio Valley Conference, Omar Williams, OVC, OVC Co-Newcomer of the Week, Patrick Mayer, Racers, Roderick Owens, Tennessee Sports Writers Association, Tennessee Sports Writers Association Offensive Player of the Week, Tennessee State, UE Invitational